Tips for Teaching Kids About Personal Hygiene
As parents, our children tend to mimic our behaviors. Why not lead by example when it comes to practicing good personal hygiene?
The health experts at Henry County Hospital are here to share some tips and tricks to help you teach your little ones about the importance of personal care.
When it comes to protecting yourself and others from the spread of harmful germs and bacteria, washing your hands is your first line of defense. To teach your child how to properly wash their hands, make sure you demonstrate the following steps:
- Wet your hands clean, running water
- Lather your hands with antibacterial soap.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds, getting the backs of your hands and between your fingers.
- Rinse your hands with clean, running water.
- Dry your hands with a clean hand towel or air dry them.
From promoting healthy teeth and gums to preventing bad breath and cavities, practicing good oral hygiene is also an important part of your health and wellness. When developing an oral hygiene routine be sure to include the following:
- Brushing your teeth at least twice daily.
- Using dental floss to clean between the teeth and the gums.
- Using an antibacterial mouthwash.
Another important aspect of practicing good hygiene is looking after your personal hygiene.. Some areas of personal care to go over with your child as they continue to develop their own routine include:
- Bathing regularly and thoroughly.
- Washing your hair regularly.
- Cleaning up after yourself when using the restroom.
- Changing their underwear regularly.
- How to wipe properly.
- Covering their mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.
- How to tell when clothes need to be washed.
- How often to wash your sheets.
Primary and Specialty Care in Henry County
At Henry County Hospital, we have been providing compassionate healthcare since 1919. When it comes to primary and specialty care, each patient can expect individualized care that meets their needs. From education to emotional support, we focus on your individual health and wellness.