How Are My Thyroid and Joint Pain Related?
It is commonly believed that joint health is solely dependent on age and genetics. However, research shows that many other factors may go into the healthfulness of our joints — such as the health of our thyroid.
The thyroid glands are butterfly-shaped and located low on the front of the neck just below the Adam's apple. The thyroid's responsibility is to secrete necessary hormones throughout the body, so what does this gland have in connection with joint health?
Thyroid Conditions and Joint Health
Our thyroid glands have an influence over metabolism, body temperature, and growth and development. When not working properly, according toOffice On Women's Health, can cause a multitude of conditions, of some including:
- Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Nodule
The most commonly known thyroid conditions are hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism and are both considered to be autoimmune disorders that affect the body's weight due to either an over or underproduction of the thyroid hormone but that's not all it can influence.
In some patients, hypothyroidism has been found to have a contribution to other autoimmune diseases, joint and muscle pain, Carpal Tunnel syndrome, and even rheumatoid arthritis, as stated byHarvard Health Publishing.
Treatment Options for Thyroid Conditions
For those suffering from thyroid disorders, there are many options for treatment, such as,
- Antithyroid Medications- drugs to slow down the overproduction of the thyroid hormone in hyperthyroidism
- Thyroid Hormone Pills- drugs to restore the amount of the thyroid hormone that is no longer being made in hypothyroidism
- Radioactive Iodine- iodine that eradicates the thyroid gland to combat thyroid diseases
and in more significant cases,
- Thyroid Surgery- the partial or complete removal of the thyroid gland
- External Radiation- radiation to help kill thyroid cancer cells
- Recombinant Human TSH- an injection to allow thyroid cancer to show up more easily in imaging tests
The health of our thyroids and joints can be directly correlated and it is important to seek treatment to maintain our overall well-being;Henry County Hospital is dedicated to doing just that. Although over-the-counter pain medications may help to alleviate symptoms of joint pain caused by hypothyroidism, adequate treatment specific to this disorder is crucial to help control it as well as other autoimmune disorders that may occur as a result.
Orthopedic Care in Henry County
At Henry County Hospital
, we’ve been providing compassionate healthcare since 1919. When it comes to orthopedic care, each patient can expect individualized care that meets their needs. From education to emotional support, we focus on your individual health and wellness.